The Travels of Mariko Horo:
installation description ]
"The Travels of Mariko Horo" is implemented in the Virtual Reality
Modeling Language (VRML) standard and runs off the hard drive of a fast
WindowsXP computer. It requires the Bitmanagement BSContact 7.0 VRML/X3D
browser, a good graphics card and sound card.
The virtual environment is projected in real-time on a large 3x4 meter
screen (9' x 12'.) This size is carefully chosen so that the image is
life-sized and thereby engages the user's kinesthetic senses, producing
a strong sense of immersion without the expensive hardware of a CAVE
or a head-mounted display.
The user input device is a simple joystick that is easy to use even for technophobes!
Room and Screen:
The room should be dark and FULLY ENCLOSED on all sides and ceiling:
- entrance on the side toward the back, so light does not fall directly
on the screen.
- walls should extend to the ceiling, so that no light leaks in.
- no other sources of sound nearby (sound track has a wide dynamic range,
sometimes very quiet and sometimes very loud.
Room size (minimum):
- 3.5m high x 5m wide x 8m deep (10' high x 15' wide x 24' deep.)
- Screen (for life-sized image): 3m high by 4m wide (~9' by 12')
- Screen center: 1.5m (5') from floor (bottom edge of screen w/in 10cm (4") of floor!)
Hardware and software (to be provided by the venue):
Data projector (takes computer input):
- image resolution 1024x768 pixels
- ceiling mountable (or rear projection)
- keystone distortion compensation
- 3500 ANSI lumens minimum
- specs should indicate it can handle a screen size of 5m diagonal (15'
- long PC-projector cable to reach PC.
PC hardware (MINIMUM requirements):
- Intel Core2 Duo, min.: 1.8 GHz processor / ideal: 2.66 GH
- 1 Gigabyte of system RAM (ideal: 2 GB)
- Mouse and keyboard (for booting system)
- Sound card: ideally M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496 or equivalent
- Graphics card:
- Minimum: Nvidia GeForce 7950 GTO
- Ideally: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT 512MB
- Anti-aliasing 4x turned on
PC software (minimum requirements):
- WindowsXP (Service Pack 2 or 3), or Windows Vista
- Internet Explorer Version 7+ browser
- DirectX 9.0c graphic drivers
- Windows Mediaplayer
Stereo PC speakers:
- Ideally Genelec 1029 APM 2-way active 40 Watt or equivalent (large, active PC
stereo speakers capable of handling a large dynamic
- Speakers should be mounted to the right and left of screen.
- Joystick stand (per my drawings): Wooden stand roughly 22.5cm square and 90cm
high (8 7/8” x 35.5”), to hold joystick box, legs bolted to floor (or floor board) for
I will provide the following hardware and software:
- VRML code for The Travels of Mariko Horo
- Modified joystick in custom-made joystick box
- Bitmanagement BSContact 7.0 VRML/X3D browser plugin