Mission Base

Pictures of Munich

München im "Dritten Reich" - Pictures from Munich's dark past during the 'Third Reich'

After the World War One Hitler moved to Munich and within a couple of years formed the nazi movement. Already in 1923 he attempted to overthrow the government of Bavaria with a coup in Munich, the Bierhall Putsch. Only after the nazis took the government in Berlin in 1933 did the center of nazi power shift from Munich to Berlin. Until the end of the tyranny Munich carried the name "Hauptstadt der Bewegung", "Capital of the Movement". Munich also was the city where the members of the anti nazi group "Weisse Rose" were captured by nazi police.

Sixty years after the Allies conquered Germany and ended the nazi Regime the city of Munich has still not decided on how and where to put a place to document and commemorate its involvement in the darkest period of German history.

I took some pictures of buildings and places significant during the nazi rule of terror.


The Haus der Kunst, built a museum for "German Art", is now used as a museum of contemporary art.


The house of "German Law" ( "Haus des deutschen Rechts" ), is now used by the university.


The "Führerbau", now used by the music conservatory.


The foundations of the infamous "Ehrentempel" built to glorify the corpses of the nazis thugs killed during the failed coup in 1923, now have some posters giving information. They are located at the Königsplatz, the site of the "Burning of the Books".


The side of the Feldherrnhalle, where the violent nazi attack on the government of Bavaria in 1923 was stopped by police. A plate on Odeonsplatz remembering the four policemen killed defending the government, Friedrich Fink, Nikolaus Hollweg, Max Schobert and Rudolf Schraut. The "Platz der Opfer des Nationalsozialismus", a square with an eternal flame dedicated to the memory of all victims of the nazi tyranny.

copyright © 2005 by Tamiko Thiel and Peter Graf.

Higher resolution images are available on request.